A chemigation permit application (PDF) must be completed and submitted in order for the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) to determine compliance with Minnesota’s chemigation rule.
Failure to submit a complete application or the required fee will result in the MDA sending your permit application back as REJECTED. If you receive an application as REJECTED, chemigation is prohibited until you return a completed permit application to the MDA and receive a permit.
Chemigation systems are inspected by the MDA on an as needed basis to determine compliance. REJECTED sites are a top priority for MDA inspectors.
If a chemigation system is found to be in violation of Minnesota law, an ORDER prohibiting chemigation and other directives as necessary to insure compliance will be issued. In addition, enforcement action including financial penalties, may be taken by the MDA.
Please read the chemigation permit application carefully and fill in all required information.
Chemigation Site Operation
The term “operator” means the individual who operates the chemigation system. Because operators change from year to year, and because operation of chemigation system entails maintenance/installation/operation of a system including but not limited to insuring that all antipollution equipment is present and operable, all operators of a chemigation system must have a permit and not just the original permittee.
Minnesota Statutes and Rules
Please reference the Minnesota Statutes and Rules pertaining to Chemigation:
- Part 1505.2100-1505.2800 - Definitions for Agricultural Chemical Chemigation Safety (Department of Agriculture)
- Section 18C.205 - Fertilizer, Soil Amendment, and Plant Amendment Law (Department of Agriculture)
- Section 18B.08 – Pesticide Control (Department of Agriculture)
- Part 4725.4450 – Wells and Borings, Distances from Contamination Source (Department of Health)
- Minnesota Statutes 326B.437; 326B.42, 326B.46, 144.3855 – Plumbing Code and Backflow Devices (Department of Health)
Additional Chemigation Resources:
- Chemigation System Inspection Record (PDF)
- Antipollution Device Guidelines for Greenhouse/Nursery Chemigation Systems (PDF)
- Chemigation Check Valves Approved for Use in Minnesota (PDF)
- Chemigation Environmental Safeguard (PDF)
- Chemigation Inspection Area Map (PDF)
- Chemigation "Permit-by-Rule" Requirements (PDF)