FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS ONLY:
Section 1) You must submit the following FOUR items to the Industrial Hemp Program at MDA (address below):
- A completed Informed Consent- Background Check Request Form (PDF: 140 KB/ 1 page) authorizing MDA to conduct a federal/state criminal background check summary, and
- A current set of fingerprints (obtainable for a $10 fee at either the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) headquarters in St. Paul OR at your local sheriff or police department), and
- A current, detailed map of the field location(s); Google map or FSA map acceptable, and
- A completed, signed Hemp Pilot Program Application. Please note: The 2019 application will be posted in October.
Mail: Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Plant Protection Division, Industrial Hemp Program, 625 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55155-2538
Section 2) You must submit the following TWO items to the MDA Cashier (address below):
- A $37 payment ($32 to conduct the background check + a $5 administration fee, payable to MDA), and
- A completed Industrial Hemp Pilot Program Background Check Fee Form (PDF: 130 KB/ 1 page).
Mail: Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Attn: Cashier, 625 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55155-2538
All persons who wish to grow industrial hemp in Minnesota must obtain a hemp pilot license. All individuals who sell hemp seed for planting, process hemp materials, or conduct laboratory testing on hemp must also obtain a license. Growers must fill out Parts 1, 2, and 3 of the Hemp Pilot Program Application, AND submit the four items listed above.
Seed sellers, processors, and testing laboratories—only fill out Parts 1 and 3 of the Hemp Pilot Program Application. Only first-time individuals who are growing hemp or selling hemp seed need to obtain a criminal background check.
Minnesota Statute 18K.09; Subdivision 2 requires MDA to collect annual fees for registration of sites and certification of hemp crops through randomized THC testing. MDA is also required to administer criminal background checks for all first-time applicants. The following fees will be assessed by MDA if your application is approved. All fees are non-refundable.
|Base Registration and Certification
You will pay this amount if you are not growing hemp (seed dealer or processor, for example)
|Initial Field Cost (covers up to 100 acres)||$400|
|Each Additional Field (≤ 10 miles of Initial) and/or each additional 100 acres of initial field||$50 each|
|Each Additional Field (> 10 miles from the initial)||$100 each|
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. If your application is approved, then you will be sent a License Fee Request form and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Only after you have returned those signed documents, plus required fees, will you be issued an industrial hemp pilot certificate. Seed will not be imported on your behalf unless you have obtained a current certificate.