Reporting Dicamba Damage

If you have experienced dicamba drift related damage, please complete the Dicamba Damage Survey.  The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) may use this information to help evaluate the impact of dicamba use in Minnesota. Please note that if you wish to request an MDA investigation, you will also need to complete the pesticide misuse complaint form or call the Dicamba Complaint line at 651-201-6333.

What is Dicamba?

Dicamba is a selective, systemic, and plant growth regulator herbicide used to control postemergence broadleaf weed control in corn and a variety of other food and feed crops, and in residential areas. In 2016, the United States of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) conditionally approved the postemergence use of certain new dicamba products on dicamba-tolerant (DT) soybeans. Previously, dicamba was registered for only preplant and pre-harvest applications to non-DT soybeans.

The active ingredient, dicamba is a highly volatile chemical that can damage non-target plant species through spray drift and/or volatilization. Misuse of dicamba products may cause unintended impacts such as serious damage to non-DT soybeans, other sensitive crops, and non-crop plants. New dicamba products are considered less volatile than previously registered dicamba products. Regarding use on DT soybeans, the EPA registration of XtendiMax and FeXapan will expire on November 9th, 2018 whereas Engenia registration will expire on December 20th, 2018.

What was MDA's response to complaints in 2017?

The MDA received large number of complaints related to the use of the herbicide dicamba in Minnesota in 2017. In an effort to prevent dicamba-related complaints in 2018, the MDA set forth additional restrictions of an application cutoff date of June 20 and a cutoff temperature of 85 degrees Fahrenheit for the 2018 growing season.

Report a Misuse Complaint

The MDA investigates properly filed chemical misuse complaints. Inspectors are able to get on site and diagnose damage based on symptomology, collect records, and collect samples for laboratory analysis. Complaints must be put in writing according to the state law. To register a complaint please complete the Dicamba Complaint Form.