You must submit the following THREE items to the Industrial Hemp Program at MDA (address below):

  1. A current, detailed map of the field location(s); Google map or FSA map acceptable, and
  2. Disclosure of any felony or gross misdemeanor drug convictions since your last application, and
  3. A completed, signed Hemp Pilot Program Application. Please note: The 2019 application will be posted in October.

Mail: Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Plant Protection Division, Industrial Hemp Program, 625 Robert Street North, St. Paul, MN 55155-2538

Fax: (651) 201-6108


All persons who wish to grow industrial hemp in Minnesota must obtain a hemp pilot license. All individuals who sell hemp seed for planting, process hemp materials, or conduct laboratory testing on hemp must also obtain a license. Growers must fill out Parts 1, 2, and 3 of the Hemp Pilot Program Application, AND submit the two items listed above.

Seed sellers, processors, and testing laboratories—only fill out Parts 1 and 3 of the Hemp Pilot Program Application. Only first-time individuals who are growing hemp or selling hemp seed need to obtain a criminal background check.

2018 FEES 

Minnesota Statute 18K.09; Subdivision 2 requires MDA to collect annual fees for registration of sites and certification of hemp crops through randomized THC testing. MDA is also required to administer criminal background checks for all first-time applicants. The following fees will be assessed by MDA if your application is approved. All fees are non-refundable.

Base Registration and Certification 
You will pay this amount if you are not growing hemp (seed dealer or processor, for example)
Initial Field Cost (covers up to 100 acres) $400
Each Additional Field (≤ 10 miles of Initial) and/or each additional 100 acres of initial field $50 each
Each Additional Field (> 10 miles from the initial) $100 each

Next Steps

Applications will be reviewed upon receipt. If your application is approved, then you will be sent a License Fee Request form and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). Only after you have returned those signed documents, plus required fees, will you be issued an industrial hemp pilot certificate. Seed will not be imported on your behalf unless you have obtained a current certificate.